Students who are on the Wait List received the following email this morning:
This fall, Seton Hall University will open its campus to the largest incoming class we have ever seen and the Department of Housing & Residence Life is very excited to have received a record number of housing applications for students wishing to live in our campus housing.
As of the time and date of this email, we have made room assignments to all students who met specific deadlines. For new students, we guarantee housing for the first 850 students who applied and paid their room deposit. This threshold was reached in early May. For returning students, the deadline was February 18th to participate in Room Selection. You are receiving this email because you are on a Wait List for a room assignment. This email contains important information about how our Wait List works and your standing on the Wait List
About our Wait List:
- Our Wait List is organized in two ways: First, by date of receipt of your housing application. Second, by the geographic distance from your home address to campus.
- There are 155 students on the Wait List.
- There are three Wait Lists: Wait List 1 is for students who applied for housing before June 1st. Wait List 2 is for students who applied for housing after June 1st. Wait List 3 is for students who live within what we deem to be a “commutable” distance.
- The Wait Lists are then organized by category based on the distance from your home to campus. Within each Wait List there are 8 categories:
Category 8 = International Students
Category 7 = West Coast/Rockies Region
Category 6 = SouthEast
Category 5 = MidWest
Category 4 = 4-6 hours away
Category 3 = 1 1/2-3 hours away
Category 2 = 1+ hour away/expensive commute Category 1 = Less than 1 hour away/commuteable distance
- We will begin housing students in Wait List 1, Category 8 then continue to Wait List 1, Category 7, Wait List 1, Category 6…and so on. Once all students from Wait List 1 are housed, we will repeat the categories with Wait List 2 and finish, if possible, with Wait List 3.
- In the past, we have had Wait Lists as high as 500 students and were able to accomodate everyone by the first day of class so please be patient while we process cancellations we are receiving daily and assign students from the Wait List as quickly as possible.
- You will receive weekly updates from us telling you what Wait List and Category we are now housing. Please note that not every category has students in it so it will move quickly between categories.
- If you wish to cancel your housing application, please complete the housing assignment cancellation form at this link: http://www.shu.edu/offices/upload/HousingAssignmentCancellation.pdf .
- As soon as you receive a room assignment, you will receive an email and/or phone call notifying you that you have been assigned.
According to our records you are on Wait List #, Category #. We are now housing students on Wait List 1, Category 8.
Again, we ask for your patience as we continue to work to accomodate as many students from Wait Lists 1 and 2 as possible. Wait List 3 will receive more information as the weeks go by. If you have any questions regarding the Wait List process, please contact us via email to SHUHousing@shu.edu.
Thank you again for your patience, and for applying to live at Seton Hall University!