Residence Halls will close at 10am on Wednesday, November 23rd for Thanksgiving Break and will reopen on Sunday, November 27th at 2pm. For those students who will not be leaving for Thanksgiving break due to work obligations, athletic competitions, or the distance being too far, Boland, Xavier, Ora, and Turrell are available for break housing.
Students who need break housing must apply for break housing through the application in their housing profile which will be available November 1st-November 15th at noon. If you do not live in Boland, Xavier, Turrell, or Ora, you must find a friend who will allow you to use their room during break. Approvals for break housing will be sent via email by November 16th.
If you’re staying in a friend’s room for the break, it is your responsibility to get their key from them before they leave for break. Remember: break housing is a privilege and you are responsible for any damage or theft that occurs from your break housing room during the duration of your stay.
Please keep in mind that SHUFly Shuttle and SAFERide will not operate during break and that campus dining options will be limited.
If you are leaving for Thanksgiving break, please unplug everything, close your window shades, remember to pack everything you’ll need for the break (including medications and homework materials), and plan to be out of your room no later than 10am on Wednesday, November 23rd. We look forward to welcoming you back to campus on Sunday the 27th at 2pm.
Happy, safe, and delicious Thanksgiving to all of our Pirates! Safe travels to and from campus!
The break housing process at Seton Hall University has changed slightly. Please read this important information if you will need housing for any of the breaks this year.
All Residence Halls except for Xavier Hall, Turrell Manor, and Ora Manor will close on November 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM and will reopen Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 2:00 PM for Thanksgiving Break. The Break Housing sign up process has changed this year, so make sure you read this email thoroughly.
You should plan not to be on campus since we have a limited number of beds available for those seeking a room over break, therefore Break Housing Applications will only be approved for those with extenuating circumstances. Break Housing is NOT GUARANTEED and to be eligible for accommodation, you MUST follow the process and deadline schedule below, as NO EXCEPTIONS will be made.
The Break Housing Process:
- Where to apply: Log onto PirateNet, click on the Offices and Services tab, and then click on “Access your Housing Profile.” The Break Housing Application can be found on the sidebar of your Housing Profile.
- Who may apply: Students who need housing for the break and have exhausted all other alternatives.
- Who needs approval: Break Housing Applicants must receive approval from the Xavier, Ora, or Turrell Residence Hall Director (RHD) prior to break via email. If you do not reside in one of the halls which will remain open, it is YOUR responsibility to find a friend of the same gender who will allow you to use their room. If you are denied Break Housing, you must vacate when the residence halls close.
Break Housing Due Dates:
- Wednesday, November 3, 2010: Break Housing Application becomes available via your Housing Profile on PirateNet.
- Friday, November 12, 2010: Break Housing Application will close. No late submissions will be accepted!
- Monday, November 15, 2010: Break Housing Applicants without a room to stay in over break will be notified of approval status by RHD via email.
- Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 10:00AM: Halls (except Xavier, Ora, and Turrell) close for Thanksgiving break. All students NOT approved, must vacate!
- Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 2:00PM: Halls re-open. Dinner will be the first meal served.
Break Housing is NOT GUARANTEED so, please consider these back-up options prior to applying:
- Find a friend to stay with in the local area
- Look up hotels to stay at in the area (if we are unable to accommodate you)
- Find alternate modes of transportation
- Carpool with others (you can post ride requests on your FaceBook page)
- Meet family halfway
If you have any questions about Break Housing, please email SHUHousing@shu.edu, or contact your Residence Hall Director.