An American spy posing as a dishonorably discharged army lieutenant, a Canadian woman being blackmailed by the Japanese, and a British professor entangled in Japanese efforts against the U.S. – all these characters play key roles in John Huston’s intense thriller Across the Pacific. Across the Pacific is the story of Rick Leland (Humphrey Bogart), an army lieutenant who was supposedly kicked out of the military for stealing. After his discharge, he makes his way to Canada, where he boards a Japanese freighter headed to the American-controlled Panama Canal. Leland, we soon learn, is actually a secret agent working...Read More
Author: Brianna Martin
In the first land offensive of the war by American forces, Marines overtook several small Solomon Islands. The islands, sometimes referred to as the southern outposts of the Japanese empire, have been held by American troops against many Japanese attempts to retake the land. The initial US attack on the Solomon Islands took place in the early morning hours of August 7, coming as a complete surprise to Japanese forces stationed on the islands. While the Marines prepared to land, carrier-based planes attacked enemy positions and waiting warships used their large guns to clear the area for the arriving...Read More
By Brianna Martin and Dominique McIndoe The idea of men and women serving in the military, side-by-side, is revolutionary and, to some, improper. But a version of this reality is slowly coming to fruition in the United States through the creation of women’s military reserves. With all available men needed for combat assignments, the military – much like the civilian work force – has a shortage of personnel to perform support duties. To fill these positions, the armed forces are seeking out women. Although men will continue to do the fighting, the army has opened its doors to women...Read More
About This Site
- President Roosevelt focuses on war in State of the Union address
- A Sailor's Story of Heroism and Survival at Pearl Harbor
- Japan Mounts Surprise Attack on Pearl Harbor
- When soldiers need some R&R, she is there to help
- Los Angeles Blackout Shrouded in Confusion
- Hitler Accuses Roosevelt, Jews in Speech at Berlin Conference
- Censorship: A Necessary Evil?
- Axis Powers Declare War: What's Next for U.S.?
- Churchill Predicts Success, Urges Postwar Allied Coalition
- College Graduate Becomes Infantry Officer in Less Than One Year