Sample Lesson Plan for College English I (for one unit)
For the Four Essay Syllabus (slight variations might occur with the other plans) for the Persuasive Paper
Language and Communication (510-609)
Assign the following readings:
Chapter 7, “Language and Rhetoric,” Perecles (470); Plato (478); Aristotle (489); Chapter 6, “Science and Nature,” Maimonides (397); Carson (419); Gore (454).
· Students will use double-entry journal technique throughout the semester to encourage critical and analytical reading/ thinking.
· Students will use the double-entry journal technique to develop their own topic based on the question of how language is used to convey a moral or political vision
Have students create a list of words/ phrases they consider relevant to the topics of ethical rhetoric and science/nature . Link these words and phrases, working in small groups, to the reading for that day.
Days 2 and 3:
Discuss the first two essays, focusing on several things:
1. the ways each one relates to the use of language and morality/political vision
2. the specific focus of each essay
3. stylistic concept for the unit
Use students’ notes from double-journal entry technique to start discussion. Make connections between the discussion of words from Day 1 and the work of these two days.
Teach research technique for the unit; use group assignment to foster collaboration; discuss third essay (see above) and connect to paper. Use chapter in They Say, I Say for this unit in connection with using sources.
Be sure to build on what you have been doing.
Discuss fourth essay (see above) and connect to paper. Work on creation of effective introduction and body paragraphs.
Discuss fifth essay (see above) and connect to paper.
You might use a volunteer’s paper to model peer review. You might also have some students share what they are doing in their papers with the whole group.