Keqin Wang, Chinese Corner Project Assistant, created tutorial video for using Library SHU Search Platform (EDS) for the students of Asian Studies.
Upcoming seminar on teaching Chinese, applying for PhD, and searching for jobs (postpone to a to-be-determined later date due the pandemic of Coronavirus disease (COVID-19))
Di Chen (Viola), Chinese Corner Project Assistant, created a video clip of the New Year Celebration Event in Walsh Library on February 6, 2019. | News Release | Program Flyer
Chaoran Zheng, Chinese Corner Project Assistant, created a video clip of Multicultural Day Event in Walsh Library on April 26, 2018. | News Release | Program Flyer
Chaoran Zheng, Chinese Corner Project Assistant, created a video clip of Seminar on Classroom Management in Chinese Language Classes held in Walsh Library on February 23, 2018. | News Release | Program Flyer
Liuqing Yang, Chinese Corner Project Assistant, created a video clip of the Mid-Autumn Festival Celebration at Walsh Library on October 5, 2017. More than 50 people came to the event. They tasted mooncakes, learned how to make paper-cutting, and passed their blessings. Everyone enjoyed the activities with big smiles. | Program Flyer
Liuqing Yang, Chinese Corner Project Assistant, created a video clip of Chinese Speech Competition held by Asian Studies Program at Seton Hall University on April 20, 2017. Thirty-eight students took part in the competition from beginner to advanced levels. Every speech had its own characteristics. Prof. Jeffrey Rice of Chinese Literature and Civilization and Director of Asian Studies, and Prof. Dongdong Chen, Department Chair of Languages, Literature and Cultures, gave supportive remarks to the students. Everyone enjoyed the competition.
Seminar on Teaching Chinese as a Second Language on February 24, 2017 | News Release and Pictures
“Chinese Corner: From Library to Classroom” was selected for poster sessions on the 82nd IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Columbus, Ohio during August 15 and 16, 2016.
Chinese Corner is a collection of books and videos for learning Chinese language, history and culture.
- Chinese Corner Book and Video Titles
- Top Circulated Chinese Corner Titles
- Chinese Corner Annual Report, March 2018
- Chinese Corner Annual Report, November 2016
- Chinese Corner Annual Report, September 2015
- Statistics of Chinese Corner Collection between October 2014 and March 2015
- Book examples from Chinese Corner (by Mei Sha, 2015)
- Pictures from the poster of “Chinese Corner: From Library to Classroom” at VALE / NJ ACRL / NJLA CUS 17th Annual Users’ Conference, 1/15/ 2016 “Library as Locus: Energizing your Campus Community” Busch Campus Center, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey.
Global News Media on Chinese Corner and Seton Hall University
Chinese Corner Promotional Video Clips created by Project Assistants (Graduate Students of Asian Studies): Chaoran Zheng (2018), Liuqing Yang (2017), Shangke Zhang (Spring 2016), Yunlong Du (Fall 2015), Mei Sha (Spring 2015), and Qingqing Lan (Fall 2014):
- Multicultural Day Event in Library Chinese Corner on April 26, 2018 (by Chaoran Zheng, 2018)
- Seminar on Classroom Management in Chinese Language Classes on February 23, 2018 (by Chaoran Zheng, 2018)
- Mid-Autumn Festival Celebration at Walsh Library on October 5, 2017 (by Liuqing Yang, 2017).
- Chinese Speech Competition held by Asian Studies Program on April 20, 2017 (by Liuqing Yang, 2017)
- Demo of Chinese Calligraphy and Paper Cutting on January 31, 2017 (by Liuqing Yang, 2017)
- Chinese Speech Contest (by Shangke Zhang, 2016)
- The mental activity of a new Chinese language learner (by Shangke Zhang, 2016)
- Mei Sha (Sammie) introducing Chinese Corner and Chinese Language Competition (by Mei Sha, 2015)
- Jeremy introducing books from Chinese Corner (by Mei Sha, 2015)
- Michael introducing books from Chinese Corner (by Mei Sha, 2015)
- Love Story at the Chinese Corner (by Mei Sha, 2015)
- Bringing the Chinese Corner to classrooms (by Yunlong Du, 2015)
- Faculty talking about the Chinese Corner (by Yunlong Du, 2015)
- American students reciting Chinese poems and so on (by Qingqing Lan, 2014)
Chinese Corner Tutoring Hours and Location
Press Release for the Chinese Corner Opening Ceremony (November 20, 2014) (Click to view pictures)
Walsh Library’s Chinese Corner had its opening ceremony at noon on Thursday, November 20, 2014. Walsh Library has received a donation of 300 books, CDs and DVDS, and funding for management and promotion of the project. The Chinese Corner is funded by China Hanban, a National Office of Teaching Chinese Language, and coordinated by China Educational Publications Import and Export Corporation Ltd (CEPIEC).
China Hanban has funded 39 libraries in 27 countries as of July 2014. Library Dean, Dr. John Buschman said that the establishment of the Chinese Corner made our library in group with Duke and Cornell Universities. Dr. Xue-Ming Bao, Electronic Resources Librarian and Library Liaison to Asian Studies, applied for the grant, and thanked all his colleagues for their support and help. Professor Dongdong Chen, Director of Chinese Program, and Director of Graduate Program in Asian Studies, informed the audience of the history and prominence of the Chinese Program at Seton Hall University, and appreciated the good support from the Library.
Qingqing Lan, a Graduate Assistant, helped with cataloging the books and reached out to the students in the Chinese language classes, She created a video program to promote the Chinese Corner (See the promotional video clips above).
The Chinese Corner has expanded our Chinese language collection and increased the visibility of Chinese Program. Hopefully it will attract more students to learn Chinese.
Chinese Corner Contact:
|Xue-Ming Bao, Ed.D., M.L.S.
Electronic Resources Librarian
Library Liaison to Asian Studies
Chinese Corner Contact
Seton Hall University Libraries
400 South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ 07079-2671
Email: Xue-Ming.Bao@shu.edu | CV
We are proud to be a part of the global effort funded by China Hanban, a National Office of Teaching Chinese Language, and coordinated by China Educational Publications Import and Export Corporation Ltd (CEPIEC).
Click the MAP and LOGOs of the Chinese Corners around the world.
Updated on 3/22/2018