NOTE: OCEAR is providing this information as a courtesy. As of May 31st, 2022 NJDOE transitioned to a new online educator certification system known as NJEdCert (New Jersey Educator Certification). Applications are no longer filled out through TCIS (Teachers Certification Information System).
For up-to-date information on the process, go directly to https://www.nj.gov/education/certification/substitutes/.
Common questions (applies only to the state of New Jersey):
- How long is a substitute certification valid in New Jersey?
- Do I have to be a specific age and have taken the Praxis in order to become substitute certified?
For the 30 credit sub-cert, you will need to be at least 20 years of age while for the 60 credit sub-cert there is NO 20 age requirement. In regards to your Praxis, is it NOT an initial requirement to becoming SUBSTITUTE CERTIFIED but we recommend uploading your scores in your NJEdCert account to keep your information updated.
- How much does it cost to become certified?
$128 (includes fees)
- When transferring my substitute certification to another district, do I need to get fingerprinted again (including paying fees)?
No, because since your substitute certification is valid for 5 years, the same goes for your fingerprints! That means that one substitute certification will be valid throughout your time in your undergrad experience.
- How long is the expected wait time to be approved after submitting an application?
This may vary depending on the district you apply to. Generally, the expected wait time is between 2 weeks to 2 months. Be sure to follow up with your sponsoring district to see how your application is processing.
If you have any further questions, you can visit https://www.nj.gov/education/license/faq.htm#3 or call 609 – 376 – 3500 or email GeneralCertQuestionsNJEdCert@doe.nj.gov
Overview of the process to apply for an NJ Substitute Teacher Certification:
- Register for a fingerprinting appointment and complete the background check:
Reference our instructions on how to do so through the attached link:
Once the background check is completed, take a screenshot of your ‘applicant approval employment history form’ through the following link https://www.nj.gov/education/crimhist/. You will need to send it to email@example.com and your district contact in order to be approved to start your placement.
- Apply for the substitute credential online:
The updated instructional video is coming soon as of 1/23! If you need any further assistance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment to complete your substitute certification.