Welcome to Pirates Pitch 2023!
Pirates Pitch 2023 is the 13th annual Seton Hall University Business Startup Competition and is sponsored by the Center of Innovation and Entrepreneurship (CIE). The competition is open to ALL students at SHU. The contest kicks off in February 2023 and finishes with the finals round on Wednesday April 12 from 6:30pm-9pm in the Seton Hall University Center Theatre. At the contest, teams of student entrepreneurs will present their startup pitches to a panel of judges to compete for $16k in seed money. Plus, each Finalist team will receive a free three-month LivePlan startup development software subscription, pro bono legal advice from our sponsor Santomassimo Davis LLP, and be invited to participate in the Pirates LaunchPad summer accelerator program. (These services are worth $30,000 per team.)
The Pirates Pitch Contest Finals is open to the public. All are invited.
First Place Prize: $8,000
Second Place Prize: $4,500
Third Place Prize: $3,000
Audience Choice Award: $500
We are here to help! CIE offers students individualized coaching and mentoring sessions, and feedback on your business ideas. We can also help you to launch your start-up. For an appointment, contact CIE Director Susan Scherreik at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get started immediately! Click on the overview page and rules and guidelines page for more information.
Big Thanks to Our Law Firm Sponsorship
CIE thanks attorneys Christopher Santomassimo and Anthony Davis and their staff for providing legal assistance to our Pirates Pitch Finalists.
Important Dates in 2023
- Wednesday February 8: Workshop 7-8 p.m. How to Enter Pirates Pitch, plus tips on turning your startup idea Into a business model (Room 528 Jubilee Hall and also Microsoft Teams). Please click the link HERE to Register for the Feb. 8 workshop.
- Thursday February 16: One of the best ways to learn about pitching your startup in a contest is to watch others doing it! You are invited to attend the virtual Big East Startup Challenge 2023 on Thursday, Feb. 16 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Please click here to register.
- Wednesday Feb. 22: Create a Winning Contest Application 7p.m. – 8p.m. (Room 528 Jubilee Hall and MS Teams). To register for the workshop, please click the link HERE.
- Wednesday March 1: Pitch Perfect: How to Create A Compelling Startup Pitch Workshop 7-8 p.m. (Room 528 Jubilee Hall and also Microsoft Teams). Please click the link HERE to Register for the March 1 workshop.
- Friday March 3: Pirates Pitch Application Deadline.
- Monday March 6: Preliminary Round Finalists Will Be Announced.
- Tuesday March 14: Preliminary Round of Pirates Pitch Contest from 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Wednesday March 15: Finalists teams will be announced.
- Friday March 31: Finalists Business Plans Due.
- Wednesday, April 12 from 6:30p.m.- 9:00 p.m: Pirates Pitch Finals in the University Center Theatre.