About Me

About Me - Father Lawrence E. FrizzellI am Father Lawrence E. Frizzell, Associate Professor in the Jewish-Christian Studies Graduate Program at Seton Hall University (JCST). I also serve as Director of the Institute of Judaeo-Christian Studies (IJCS). Here are a few biographical details about me.

Education

I studied philosophy at St. Joseph’s Seminary in Edmonton, Canada and was ordained to the priesthood for the Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton on June 2, 1962. Additionally, I earned a License in Sacred Theology (S.T.L.) at the University of Ottawa that same year. From 1962 to 1964, I was Professor of Canon Law and Liturgy at St. Joseph’s Seminary.

Three years later, I received a License in Sacred Scripture (S.S.L.) at the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome (1967) and a doctorate (D.Phil.) at Oxford University (1974).

The Institute of Judaeo-Christian Studies and Seton Hall University

Shortly after graduating from Oxford, my Archbishop gave me permission to help begin the JCST Graduate Program at Seton Hall. Monsignor John M. Oesterreicher, who was also the founding director of the Institute of Judaeo-Christian Studies (IJCS), established the program in 1975. He, Rabbi Asher Finkel and I worked together to develop a unique curriculum. Today, it still serves as a model for eliminating prejudice through understanding.

In 1993 I became director of the IJCS, which promotes peace-building among people of all faiths through:

• Educational programs
  • Interreligious and scholarly exchanges
  • Public forums

Besides this work, I am also the moderator of the radio program, The Kinship of Catholics & Jews. We broadcast this show every Sunday at 11:00 a.m. on Seton Hall’s WSOU FM 89.5. The show’s aim is to promote the shared values of Christians and Jews. You can access podcasts of previously recorded shows on The Kinship’s Podbean channel here.

Interests

My academic area of specialty is Jewish-Christian studies and relations. I also enjoy exploring ecumenical issues and the impact of Biblical traditions on Catholic liturgy, prayer and ethics. You can read more about these and many other topics on my blog.