March Fourth 5k

March Fourth 5k

A great way to get active is to sign up for a local 5k.  If you usually aren’t active it makes you motivated to start a running schedule in order to build yourself up to be able to run the 3.1 miles.  Or if you are used to running that much, it’s a great way to add some variation to your workout environment and help a good cause.  Over break, my family and I ran the March Fourth for Colon Cancer Prevention 5k in South Orange, NJ.  As a teacher in the Milburn school system, my mom wanted to support the cause.  A family in Milburn recently lost their mother to colon cancer and the high school boy coordinated the whole 5k with the help of a family friend and his little sister in order to raise money for research.  They’re hoping to make it an annual event.

Long story short, this was a great opportunity to get some exercise that wasn’t in the gym or on a treadmill, and it helped contribute to a great cause.  No matter the organization I definitely recommend using 5k’s as a way to add a workout to your life.

1 thought on “March Fourth 5k”

• This is such a great point Alex! From being a cross country runner my entire life, the courses we used to run would become boring and very repetitive. When you are working towards and end goal, however, it allows you to add variety to your work outs to reach a set goal, and with running, even go beyond that! I love the cause you ran for and I think you experienced a great opportunity!