Broadcasting Student Rony Jerez Tells What It’s Like Reporting Sports At Seton Hall

When first navigating through college it can be hard finding your passion and what drives you towards your degree. For current Junior Rony Jerez, he quickly found an interest in sports media/reporting and has never looked back since.

Rony is a Sports Director for Pirate Television and also works the Technical work study position at the station. He operates all the studio equipment and makes sure that everything runs smoothly for each on-air broadcast. At WSOU, the campus radio station, he is the Assistant News Director and Sports Broadcaster on the sports staff.

Whether it’s a Seton Hall Men’s Basketball game at the Prudential Center, or a Seton Hall Women’s Soccer game on the field, you will most likely spot Rony reporting on the sidelines.

“I have always been passionate about sports so I wanted to stay within the sports world. I noticed that I admired many people in the Sports Media world and I used their story to inspire me into the broadcasting media field. It is also very fun, I love working with equipment and being on camera,” said Rony.

He also touched upon what he would say to incoming freshman as they begin their Broadcasting career. “My advice is to take risks and put yourself out there as much as you can. Exposure in different environments can go such a long way. Get to know as many people as you can because you never know who will help you along your journey, and remember to have fun and enjoy it.’”

Although Rony has a lot on his plate during his last two years of college, he still finds time to balance school work, a social life, and having time to relax.

“It can be very difficult at times to juggle so many responsibilities going on at the same time but the key for me is to stay organized. Organization is vital to handle different things and can avoid problems down the road.”