My name is Lis Kabashi, and I am studying International Relations and Diplomacy at Seton Hall University. I come from a city called Mitrovica, which is located in the northern part of Kosovo.

I interned at the Consulate General of the Republic of Kosovo. In contrast to other Consulates, the Consulate General of Kosovo serves a dual purpose. Apart from serving its citizens in the US, the Consulate General also serves as a lobbying ‘mission’ to the UN, seeking more recognition for the Republic of Kosovo.

I decided to intern at the Consulate General of the Republic of Kosovo because in the future I would love to work as a diplomat for my country in one of our Embassies around the world. As the number of countries that recognizes Kosovo has gone up to 114, new Embassies and Consulates are opening up around the world. Thus, demand for experts in international relations and diplomacy has increased. For me, the experience at the Consulate General is a very important first step towards that goal.

My intern duties at the Consulate varied. For example, I prepared news analyses and reports on current events related to the Republic of Kosovo. Such analyses and reports served the purpose of informing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kosovo.

During the UN General Assembly 2017, the Consulate received two High-Level Delegations: Presidential and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Along with another intern, I led the efforts in putting together files for each meeting that took place. These files, intended for the Chief of Cabinet for each delegation, consisted of brief biographies and resumes of each High-Level leader. Since most of our classes at the School of Diplomacy require us to learn about foreign policy decision makers from countries all over the world, I think that this is one of many ways how my internship related to my classes at the School of Diplomacy.

The opportunity to work at the Consulate was not only a period in which I learned about diplomacy – it was instrumental in building my professional network. Over two months, I had the honor of meeting Ambassadors and diplomats from various countries and attending functions hosted by different missions at the UN. Almost all of the diplomats that I met shared some of their experience and knowledge with me. Thus, I have learned how to think as a diplomat as well as how leaders protect the interests of their countries.

I recommend the internship to those who are interested in having a career in diplomacy. Apart from meeting key decision makers from all over the world, an intern at a Consulate could also improve their written and verbal communication skills, which are key to becoming a successful diplomat.