wpiThe past two weeks were a little stressful and hectic as I planned a luncheon for a VIP
discussion about Afghanistan Beyond 2014. After finding a venue and figuring out the
other logistics for the event, I was tasked with compiling a limited guest list and then
contacting each person individually. The most incredible aspect of this responsibility was
having the opportunity to contact the heads of several Permanent UN missions and
Departments. Ultimately, we had a full guest list and attendance for the luncheon. Three
Afghan civil society leaders came to NYC for the event, and the countries having
significant involvement in Afghanistan were all represented. Additionally, the UN
Department of Political Affairs, Department of Peacekeeping Operations, UNDP,
UNICEF, and Secretariat were all represented as well. I was able to attend the
luncheon, and the discussion between these 30 policy makers and practitioners was
truly incredible. I was able to meet and network with several of those that attended, and
I also now have the opportunity to write an article for World Policy Institute about the
event. This was definitely an amazing opportunity to see people in the field finding
solutions to a very complex situation which will have great impact in the next couple
years.

Read the article Laurel published here: http://www.worldpolicy.org/blog/2013/02/22/afghanistan-beyond-2014