Bowling Green has always been a monumental part of the history of the Dutch New Amsterdam. Before the director of the Dutch West India Company, Peter Stuyvesant was able to acquire it from the Lenape in 1624, this area was a resting ground for the Native American population in Manhattan. With the Dutch needing to adapt to their new environment, they would choose this area to house and raise their cattle. Cattle were an essential part of the Dutch lifestyle and were necessary for establishing the area. Although not known as Bowling Green at the time, the Dutch government known as the Common Council would decide upon making this territory the grounds upon which the cattle would be herded. It was referred to as “the Plain”, established in 1638. Eventually, the territory so close to the nearby towns would be transformed again. What we now we call a farmer’s market was created in the area. It became a place for all of the animals of the peninsula. Not only would there be a plain for the people’s animals but also would be a place to help forge crops, such as wheat and grain. For the rest of the time up until the British takeover, this market was a huge success due to its proximity to the rest of the town as well as its versatility in serving as farmland and a farmer’s market.