Yaroslavl’s Crest

yaroslavl flag

Yaroslavl, has definitely been my favorite Russian City thus far. Not only is the historical part of the city a UNESCO Heritage site, but the over arching atmosphere, architecture, and openness of the area been extremely unique to the region.

As shown above, the crest of Yaroslavl is a large bear holding an ax. This is because the area was once owned by a mystical tribe alongside  a sacred bear. Yes, a sacred bear once was the main authority on an entire region in Russia which has lead me to the conclusion that the Russian stereotype that Russia is overrun by bears is all Yaroslavl’s fault.

Now the legend of the bear really starts in 1004 when Prince Yaroslavl “discovered” the region. The tribe, in an attempt to save themselves, released a sacred bear to fight the young prince off. I somehow assumed fighting a bear would be a difficult task but apparently the prince just struck the bear in the head with an axe. Thus, the gorgeous symbol of Yaroslavl was born. A bear holding a giant axe.

Don’t get me wrong, Yaroslavl is a gorgeous city and have amazing churches and sights but I think this statue of a bear is my favorite spot.

bear