Leadership Junior Briana Glass in Shanghai, China! – Monthly Update

Written By:Briana Glass

Entrance to the university in Shanghai, China.

My semester abroad in China has finally begun! It is crazy to think that after a year of planning and meticulously getting classes approved that I am finally at Shanghai University of Finance and Economics and my far-fetched dreams are now a reality. I am so grateful for this opportunity and I am looking forward to all the new and interesting experiences and challenges I will face. It currently has only been a week since I touched down in one of the largest cities in the world and so far a plethora of new experiences. 

Briana at her first day of registration/orientation

Briana with her roommate, Li Er (left), and new friend, Elen (right).

The first few days have been filled with the usual introductions to the university and meeting of new students from all over… and not to my surprise it really has been people from all over. In the international students dorm I am living in, I have met people from Cambodia, Vietnam, Madagascar, Senegal, Netherlands, France, Australia, Mexico, Singapore and many many more. It truly has been a week of new faces and new names and I know it is just the beginning! One of the new challenges for me has been learning Chinese, since I arrived only knowing the words, Nǐ hǎo​ and Xièxiè​ (Hello & Thank you), I have begun to realize how difficult it is to get through daily activities and routines without knowing the language. When classes commence on September 10th, I will be taking a Chinese speaking and listening class along with my other English taught business courses and hope to learn as much Chinese as possible. 

I cannot believe one week has gone by and in blistering fashion! Here is to the many more days and weeks ahead and to the new adventures I will partake in!