World Youth Day, A First Look Back

I apologize for the delay in posting. Our time here in Kraków has been amazing, and has flown by. Tonight we are back on the gym floor after the open air camp out in Campus Miseracordiae, field of mercy, where about 2 million pilgrims met for a night vigil and Mass with Pope Francis. The magnitude of that alone should give a glimpse into the busyness of our schedule.

I’ll share one story now,but I hope to give a few further reflectionso when I have some more travel time. Yesterday we got to the Campus around 4 or 5pm. We staked out our spor with tarps and sent a delegation to pick up food from the supply stop. Long story short, they ran out of food since no more trucks could get in till later. We turned back, disappointed, and a little daunted that we hadn’t had lunch and now had no dinner or breakfast. Thankfully, our neighborsite showed us some mercy and a pile of donations formed in our tarp camp. We had enough to be satisfied fir dinner and even a bit left over. Laterms that night we sent anorge delegation to try again. This time they made it back with food bags, though it took them 3 hours. This is just one example of the generosity of pilgrims and volunteers as well as the magnitude of world youth day. I would be remiss if I failed to mention the tireless and joyful service of the military and volunteers who worked to supply us with food, water, and safety by working long hours of constant service.

Tomorrow, Monday, we head to Warsaw to visit Our Lady of Częstochowa before flying home on Wednesday.

God Bless! And know of our prayers despite the infrequent blog posts.

One thought on “World Youth Day, A First Look Back”

1. Your posts have been wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us all. I can’t wait to see a post with more detail about your time in Krakow at WYD. Hopefully you have some pictures to share as well! FYI, we will be promoting your blog once again on the SHU website in light of WYD (so again, any details/photos you can share from WYD would be amazing!).

Thanks again to the two of you!