Posted: February 2013
About the Position:
GHS’ Beijing office is looking to hire an Intern to support research, policy and communications projects and the development of GHS’ broader China program. This position will provide a unique opportunity to serve as an interface between domestic and international global health stakeholders.
The Intern candidate should possess excellent written and oral communications skills in both English and Chinese (Mandarin) and have experience in cross-cultural organizations. Experience working on relevant global health issues such as childhood immunization or infectious diseases, or knowledge of China’s international health and development policies, are considered a plus. The Intern will be based in Beijing and report to GHS’ senior staff in China.
· Provides logistical and administrative support to the GHS Beijing to implement projects.
· Supports a team of senior staff in China and New York on GHS client deliverables.
· Works closely with project manager to assist in the implementation of research, communications and advocacy projects, including day-to-day project coordination and correspondence with project partners.
· Drafts press releases, fact sheets, Q&A documents, media analyses and advocacy materials.
· Conducts internet and policy research on stakeholders and media for clients and projects.
· Updates and maintains media and projects contacts.
· Helps organize and plan events, including press conferences and educational forums
Individual should be well-organized and able to complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner. Individual should be a self-starter who is intelligent, reliable and has a good sense of humor. In addition, the intern should meet the following qualifications:
· Working toward or completed a Master’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, public health, international relations, public policy, or a related field
· Fluency in Chinese (Mandarin) and English
· Skilled researcher, writer and editor; able to turn around documents rapidly
· Ability to work in fast-paced, demanding environment
· Work well as both a team member and independently
· Flexible, able to multitask
· Open-minded, willing to continue learning
· Positive, energetic attitude; enthusiastic
· Rigorous thinker
· Good political skills/sound judgment
· Proficiency using Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and social media platforms such as Weibo and Kaixin; Photoshop or other image processing software is a plus
Time requirement: Full time or Part time. 2 or 3 days a week
Duration: Three months, with an opportunity for extension
Compensation: Varies with experience
Start Date: Immediate
How to Apply:
Please send all applications to jobschina (at) globalhealthstrategies.com . Please write “Beijing Internship” in the subject line and include a resume, cover letter and two writing samples (one in English, one in Chinese). Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Due to the high volume of expected applicants, only those meeting GHS requirements will be contacted. Please note that no telephone or email inquiries will be entertained.
GHS is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of diverse backgrounds to apply.