September 2015: Master’s Corner — Grad School Hindsight

MASTER’S CORNER — GRAD SCHOOL HINDSIGHT

A section of The Insider highlighting the Higher Education and Student Affairs Master’s program.  For more information about the Higher Education and Student Affairs program, visit http://www.shu.edu/academics/education/ma-college-administration/index.cfm.

“Welcome, and welcome back!  As a second-year master’s student about to embark on my last two semesters at Seton Hall University, I have had the fortune of reflecting upon my experiences over the summer, and wanted to share a few thoughts.  No matter where you are in your program, here are some things I’ve learned my first year in grad school.”  — Sarah Andrews, HEGSA Steward

Build a support group. Having grown up in Wisconsin and living part-time with my husband in Charlotte, NC, Seton Hall and South Orange is not home to me. I have, however, started to build connections here, which I plan to use much more this year. Consider chatting with a professor during their office hours if you are excited about their research. Get off campus to enjoy a type of food you’ve never tried before with a new classmate, or stop by a coffee shop where you wouldn’t normally study. Try reaching out to your family and friends on a regular basis. Most importantly, find people to communicate with, and try to leave room in conversation free of school topics.

Get in touch with your Career Advisor. This is a great way to feel a step ahead of the game. Career Services, within The Career Center, offers mock-interviews, resume reviews, CV critiques, and assistance with job searches. If you can’t meet with them face to face, request a phone appointment.  Some upcoming Career Center events are included below.

Take critiques well. You’re more invested now in the work you do, and it takes much longer to produce quality papers than it did as an undergraduate. Use the on-campus Writing Center (located in Arts & Sciences hall), or online via the Online Writing Lab (OWL). If your professor offers to review your paper, take advantage of this wonderful resource. If your professor gives critiques of your paper after it’s graded, learn from the comments, and reflect for your next paper.

Get involved in HEGSA, KDP, DOVE, and the greater South Orange Community. Attend as many events as possible, and help people in whatever way you can; even if it seems small. This helps you incorporate all of the above suggestions and more. This is the time to get involved, be engaged, and grow in a relatively short space of time. For more suggestions, and archived issues of The Insider, see our blog at http://blogs.shu.edu/hegsa/.

I’d love to hear about what you have learned as a graduate student. Feel free to reach out to HEGSA to share your insights, comments, and announcements.  Be sure to email us at hegsa@shu.edu by the last Monday of the month for inclusion in the following month’s newsletter.