October 2016: Center for College Readiness Dissertation Award Recipients

Recent Ph.D. in Higher Education graduates Hillary Morgan and Rafael Inoa were awarded inaugural 2016 Center for College Readiness (CCR) Outstanding Dissertation Awards for their research on low-income minority and immigrant-origin students.

The CCR is a research center dedicated to identifying, examining, and responding to the challenges that low-income minority and immigrant-origin students confront at each stage of the college preparation and choice process. Under the auspices of the CCR, students and affiliated faculty researchers conduct empirical studies, disseminate their work, and contribute to scholarly and public policy conversations around issues related to college readiness, access, and completion. The Center brings speakers to campus through a speaker series, puts on faculty research seminars and organizes a doctoral student symposium at which recently defended doctoral candidates share their dissertation work.

“The ELMP faculty wanted to formally recognize the outstanding work of doctoral students whose research supported and advanced the goals of the Center,” said Dr. Carolyn Sattin-Bajaj, assistant professor and co-director of the CCR. “We determined that awards for dissertations that were exemplary in achieving these goals would be a fitting acknowledgment.”

Sattin-Bajaj shared that Morgan and Inoa were selected as recipients of the awards after having been nominated by faculty members. In order to qualify for consideration, students must have a study that addresses questions or research topics related to the mission of the CCR, have a study that utilizes a rigorous research design and methodological approaches, and have results that contribute new empirical evidence and/or theoretical insights.

Morgan’s dissertation “Estimating Matriculation with a Focus on Financial Aid and Test Optional Policies: Data from a Liberal Arts Institution in the Northeast” used admitted student data to better understand what college choice factors contribute to a student’s enrollment decision. She discovered that students who withhold test scores respond more strongly to a $1,000 increase in institutional aid and that an additional $1,000 in institutional award could influence their decision to enroll more strongly than an additional campus visit.

“I am thankful for all of the faculty members within the Higher Education program,” said Morgan. “They spend a lot of time mentoring students and I really felt like they had my best interest at heart. During my journey I made several connections in the field of education and for that I am grateful.”

Morgan’s journey included having three sons during her graduate studies at Seton Hall: William (5), Benjamin (2.5), and Thomas (4 months). Today, she works as a senior data analyst at Drew University, where she analyzes student-level data for admissions and financial aid.

Inoa’s dissertation “Middle-Income Latinos in Middle-Class Communities: A Study on Parental Involvement Dynamics” found that many middle-income Latino parents had experiences similar to Latino parents in poor and working class communities.

He also discovered that parents primarily concerned themselves with the emotional well-being and social development of their children.

“All members of my dissertation committee were instrumental in asking the questions that led me to dig deeper into my topic and to increase my level of understanding as it related to defining populations of interest,” said Inoa. “Speaking through ideas with my committee members was influential throughout the stages of data collection and analysis, and made me a better, more empirical researcher overall.”

Inoa credits the CCR for providing him with the opportunities to enhance his education. “I am thankful to the Center for connecting me with individuals and inviting me to take part in the National Invitational Conference on Undermatching to Post-Secondary Education,” said Inoa. “It was an unforgettable and invaluable experience. It also served to recharge the interest that I already had in my chosen career.”

Today, Inoa is a full-time lecturer in the Education Leadership Department at Kean University, chairing his first dissertations. “I would like to thank the CCR for the dissertation award that I received, and for seeing in me and in my work an exemplar of what a good doctoral student and dissertation may be,” said Inoa. “This achievement would not have been possible, however, without the hard work and support of my committee members and my mentor. My achievement is a reflection of their support and guidance, and I will remain forever grateful to them for that.”

Morgan and Inoa, who took part in the Education Research, Assessment, and Program Evaluation concentration, encouraged current students to get involved and get to know fellow students. “You get to meet smart and talented people at institutions of higher education, and pursuing a degree gives you direct access to these people,” said Inoa. “I would say not to take this for granted, and to try and learn as much as you can from them while you are pursuing your degree.”

For more information and to get involved with the CCR, please visit the website here or email Dr. Carolyn Sattin-Bajaj at carolyn.sattinbajaj@shu.edu.