May 2016: Student Spotlight – HEGSA Master’s Steward, Sarah Andrews

STUDENT SPOTLIGHT — HEGSA MASTERS STEWARD, SARAH ANDREWS

Amidst coordinating her graduation and job search, Sarah Andrews shares what her time with HEGSA and Seton Hall’s higher education program has meant. As she begins her journey as an alumna, she leaves us with some final thoughts, and a review of the KDP induction below. We thank Sarah for her devotion in serving as HEGSA’s inaugural Master’s steward.

I was honored when asked to be the first Master’s steward for HEGSA. Working with students, staff, and faculty in creating spotlights for the newsletter have been the most rewarding part of my position, as I absolutely revel in celebrating success. As well, I enjoyed collaborating with Kappa Delta Pi International Honors Society in Education to create meaningful programming and strengthening the partnership between KDP and HEGSA.

My sincere thank you to all of the ELMP faculty, and especially my advisor Dr. Kim, in sharing their knowledge and passion toward furthering my education at Seton Hall University; of which I will be forever grateful. I learned most when I connected with a professor’s own experience, and in comparing that with readings, planned how to use my understanding in future endeavors. Thank you also for challenging me to write, present, and disseminate at a higher level; skills I am now proudly displaying at on-campus interviews. I’d also like to thank Drs. Koehler and Arrigoni for their mentorship whilst I completed two international studies internships. The University’s ELMP Department is a place of prestige and I am humbled to have been a part of it.

My advice for students reading this is no matter where you are in the program, pointedly get as involved in everything as you possibly can. Volunteer your time in HEGSA, KDP, as an intern, a graduate assistant, as a club or organization advisor, and with national associations. Enjoy the process of your journey and be patient with yourself as you obtain your masters or doctorate degree. Get to know your classmates outside of the classroom and invest in each other. Network at all times. Share your challenges so that others learn from them.

I have had several interviews around the country, and time will tell where I land. I am very much looking forward to living in the same city as my husband! For the moment, I am focusing on serving in a career success capacity in higher education with particular interest working with international students. Future goals include obtaining my doctorate and becoming a leader in our field. – Sarah