Three Minute Leadership: Life’s Difficult Moments

To: The Great Leaders Who Have a Passion for Continuous Learning

In his June 2016 commencement speech at his son’s graduation from a small boarding school for grades six through nine, Chief Justice John Roberts shared with the students the immense value of learning that can be found, if  one chooses, in life’s difficult moments.

“From time to time, in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly, so that you will come to know the value of justice,” he said. “I hope you will suffer betrayal because that will teach you the importance of loyalty. Sorry to say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time, so that you don’t take friends for granted. I wish you bad luck again, from time to time, so that you will be conscious of the roll of chance in life, and understand that your success is not completely deserved, and the failure of others is not completely deserved either. And when you lose, as you will from time to time, I hope every now and then your opponent will gloat over your failure. It is a way for you to understand the importance of sportsmanship. I hope you will be ignored, so you know the importance of listening to others, and I hope you will have just enough pain to learn compassion.”

He continued saying: “Whether I wish these things or not, they’re going to happen. Whether you benefit from them, or not, will depend upon your ability to see the message in your misfortunes.” Great leaders understand the importance of finding meaning and learning from life’s experiences. They have learned that from falling down, you stand up (e.g. Fall seven times, stand up eight.). There are no regrets, only lessons learned. You may forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you and that sometimes in life, your situation will keep repeating itself until you learn the lesson.

Leo Buscaglia wrote: ‘Change is the result of all true learning.” May you find life’s fullness in all of those opportunities when you are stretched and challenged by life’s difficult moments. May you be ceaseless in you pursuit of being more than you ever dreamed you could be… and more… so much more.

Have a beautiful day and a magnificent week!!!

Mike