Meet the Council – Lizabeth Phelps

lizabeth-phelps

Lizabeth Phelps President Inspired Leaders’ Academy

Executive Council Member Lizabeth Phelps, President of Inspired Leaders’ Academy, shares what she wish she knew in college given her experience today.

When I was in college, I wish I’d known that my life and career would *never* be straight lines. That there, in fact, was not a “best path to success”—and certainly that what is billed as the best path was done so by those too afraid of coloring outside of the lines. I wish I had been told that there is no shame in failing—not once, not dozens of times. Those who innovate will inevitably fail because they’re trying something new. I wish I’d been told that having my own business was not just viable, but the best route for me, given my talents and constitution. But most of all, I wish I’d been told that my value is not based on how much I perform or what I produce—my value is a given because I’m walking around on Earth: that’s enough. Since you *are* in college still, I will tell you: don’t get caught in that trap. No one cares about what you produce, only you. So relax on super-achieving and listen to the still, small voice in you that will, only when you listen, get you where you *really* want to go.

One thought on “Meet the Council – Lizabeth Phelps