The Winter Break application is now open, and will remain open until Monday, December 11th at noon. Below is a copy of the email that was just sent to residents:
All Residence Halls except for Boland Hall, Xavier Hall, Turrell Manor, and Ora Manor will close on Wednesday, December 20th, 2017 at 10:00AM for Winter Break, and will re-open on Monday, January 15th at 2PM. Break Housing Applications will only be approved for those with extenuating circumstances. Break Housing is NOT GUARANTEED, and to be eligible for accommodation, you MUST follow the process and deadline schedule below, as NO EXCEPTIONS will be made.
In order to be eligible for Break Housing, you MUST meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Live more than 6 hours away from the University.
- Be an international resident.
- Be an active in season athlete.
- Have a university work commitment.
IF YOU DO NOT MEET ANY OF THE ABOVE CRITERIA, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR BREAK HOUSING.
If eligible for Break Housing, your break housing options are:
- You currently reside in one of the open residence halls.
- You have a friend, (of the same gender), who resides in one of the open residence halls and agrees to let you temporarily stay in their housing assignment during the break.
- Please be aware that you are responsible for any damages that occur in the housing assignment during your stay.
- It is YOUR responsibility to both receive and safely return the key to your friend.
- There is a maximum of two break housing students per room.
How to Apply for Break Housing:
- Where to apply:
- Log onto PirateNet
- Navigate to your Housing Profile under “Profile and Finances”
- Click on “Access Housing Profile”.
- The Break Housing Application can be found at the top of your Housing Profile under the “Application” tab, located in the black bar on the top page.
- Who may apply: Students who meet the above criteria and have exhausted all other alternatives.
- Who needs approval: Break Housing Applicants must receive approval from HRL Staff prior to break via email. If you do not reside in one of the halls which will remain open, it is YOUR responsibility to find a friend of the same gender who will allow you to use their room. If you are denied Break Housing, you must vacate when the residence halls close.
Break Housing Due Dates:
- Tuesday, November 28th: Break Housing Application becomes available via your Housing Profile on PirateNet.
- Monday, December 11th at 12PM: Break Housing Application will close. No late submissions will be accepted!
- Tuesday, December 12th: Break Housing Applicants will be notified of approval status via email.
- Wednesday, December 20th at 10AM: All halls (except Boland, Xavier, Ora, and Turrell) close for Winter break. All students NOT approved, must vacate!
- Monday, January 15th, 2018 at 2PM: Halls re-open. Dinner will be the first meal served.
Break Housing is NOT GUARANTEED. Please consider these back-up options prior to applying:
- Find a friend to stay within the local area
- Look up hotels to stay at in the area (if we are unable to accommodate you)
- Find alternate modes of transportation
- Carpool with others (you can post ride requests on your Facebook page)
- Meet family halfway
Please be mindful that the SHU Fly and SAFE RIDE will NOT be operational during the break. During Thanksgiving Break, on campus dining options will be limited.
If you have any questions about Break Housing, please email SHUHousing@shu.edu, or contact your Residence Hall Director.
Finish the Semester Strong!