Three Minute Leadership: Going Where the Puck Will Be

To: The Great Leaders Who Have a Passion for Continuous Learning

Wayne Gretzky, former Canadian professional ice hockey player and called by sports writers “the greatest hockey player ever”, said of himself: “I couldn’t beat people with my strength. I don’t have a hard shot. I’m not the quickest skater in the league. My eyes and my mind have to do most of the work.” Given these physical attributes he was asked how he had achieved his greatness. His response was: “I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.” This was his differentiator, and it made him the greatest.

Gretsky’s words fill the great leader with excitement – about something that will be, a future about to happen. Going to where the puck will be is about daring, foresight, calculated anticipation. It is about connecting the dots before others see them, looking to the future to a new possibility, a new challenge and opportunity, a movement from ‘what is’ to ‘what can be.’ May you live your life going where the puck will be so that you always be there to take the your shot of a lifetime. You, too, will be called “the greatest player ever.” And have fun doing it. Life is so very good.

Have a beautiful day and a magnificent week!!!

Mike

MIKE