Instructional Design Newsletter
Successful Launch of Upgraded University Portal
On October 19 the University portal was upgraded to the latest version of its Luminis infrastructure and for most users, the “look and feel” remained pretty much the same.
Do you have any feedback regarding anything in the portal? Let us know »
Having trouble seeing your latest courses in the Faculty Dashboard (on your Academics tab)?
Click on “Preferences.” It seems that the default setting for the Faculty Dashboard is “From the beginning of time…” For those faculty who have been teaching here for a while, this channel tries to pull up all of your courses and maxes out, creating an error.
In order to change that all-encompassing timeframe, just click on the drop-down arrow to select the semester whose courses you want to display.
Online Learning Corner
It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like… The End of the Semester!
As the end of the semester quickly approaches, it’s not too early to prepare your online courses for the spring semester!
Here is a list of tips to help you end this semester and prepare for the next:
Wrapping up this semester:
- Offer a non-graded, anonymous course survey (different from the institutional course evaluation– this is particularly helpful when updating or revising your course. Questions should focus around what went well in the course and ideas for improvement/ engagement. Students are the best people to tell you what worked and what didn’t.
- Archive the course so you have a record of student work and grades.
Preparing for next semester:
- Copy the course content to the spring shell
- Delete any discussion posts brought over from the course copy
- Update the course schedule and due dates for assignments
- Pull together frequently asked questions and update content based on those questions
- Check hyperlinks to ensure they work
- Update any readings or assignments based on student feedback
- Send a welcome email to the class at least a week before class starts with book and first assignment information. Also post this email as a course announcement.
Workshops and Special Events
Upcomming CTC Workshops
Session descriptions and registration links available at: http://tltc.shu.edu/register
Student Tech Bytes
Wednesday, December 2 @ 3:00 PM | click here to register
Start Using Office 365
Friday, December 4 @ 10:00 AM | click here to register
Winter 3D Printing
Maker Space Workshop
Friday, December 4 @ 1:00 PM | click here to register
File Management / Backing Up Your Data
Student Tech Bytes
Wednesday, December 9 @ 3:30 PM | click here to register
Instructional Design Team
- Online Course Development Project Manager
- Special Projects
- School of Diplomacy
- University Library
- Blackboard Support
Computer Training Services, Manager
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work
- Department of Communication & The Arts
- School of Health & Medical Sciences
- College of Education & Human Services
- Department of English
- Freshman Studies
- Department of Criminal Justice
- Language, Literature & Culture
- College of Nursing
- Department of Political Science & Public Affairs
- Department of History
- Department of Philosophy
- School of Theology
- Department of Religion
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Physics
- Department of Math & Computer Science
- Stillman School of Business