Microsoft Lync, a part of Office 365, supports synchronous collaboration (chat, audio, or video call), video conferencing, and screen sharing.
Students can download the Microsoft Lync desktop client from their Office 365 page. Note that the Lync desktop client is pre-installed on Seton Hall University laptops with Office 2013
Illustrated Guide: Microsoft Lync – Student Guide
For additional information regarding Lync, please see the following Microsoft page: Start Using Lync for IM and Online Meetings
Downloading the Microsoft Lync Desktop Client
The Microsoft Lync Desktop Client can be downloaded from your Office365 page.
- Start by opening a web browser and going to: http://www.shu.edu and select the PirateNet link in the upper right corner
- Select the Student Email button
- Enter your Seton Hall University shortname (smithjoh) and password
- Your Office365 page will default to display your eMail
- Select the Office 365 settings link in settings menu (gear symbol in the upper right corner)
- On the Office 365 settings page, select the software link
- Select Lync from the menu on the left, then select the install button.
A small *.exe file will start to download. Run this file to install the Microsoft Lync desktop client.
- The Microsoft Lync software will start to install on your laptop
Setting up the Microsoft Lync Desktop Client
The Microsoft Lync Desktop Client will authenticate against your PirateNet credentials.
- If the Lync desktop client does not automatically launch, manually launch the program from:
- Windows 7
- Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office 2013 > Lync 2013
- Windows 8
- Windows 8 Start Screen > Lync 2013 tile
- Windows 7
- When the Microsoft Lync software is launched, you will be prompted to sign-in.
- You may see a pop-up. Select the Accept button to accept the Microsoft Office License Agreement and proceed.
- You may see an “Activate Office” pop-up. Enter your firstname.lastname@example.org in the email field, select Next. In the password field, enter your PirateNet password and select Sign In.
- In the Sign-in address: field, enter your email@example.com
In the Password: field, enter your PirateNet password
Select the Sign in button at the bottom of the window
- Your name will be displayed at the top of the Lync window.
- In the Find Someone field, enter a name to locate others at Seton Hall University who are using Lync