Internship SpotlightLocalSpotlights

Internship Spotlight: Nicholas DiBari

Nicholas DiBari, senior (photo courtesy of DiBari himself)

By Fiona Liu
Stillman News Writer

Nicholas DiBari is a senior from River Vale, NJ majoring in marketing and minoring in Spanish. The Stillman Exchange recently reached out to Nicholas to learn more about his experience interning with Multimedia Solutions.

Q: What was the internship that you completed? What were some of your responsibilities?
This past summer (and continuing through today), I interned at Multimedia Solutions; a full-service digital agency that handles digital marketing as well as web projects. Initially, I served primarily in the digital marketing department where I worked mostly on SEO related projects but was later shifted over to the design department where I worked with ad design and web UI design.

Q: Why did you decide on the company that you chose to work?
I was actively looking for an internship during the lockdown in Spring of 2020 and found Multimedia Solutions almost entirely by accident – it was exactly what I was looking for in an internship: lots of opportunities for diverse learning experiences within digital marketing and design.

Q: How did you go about finding and obtaining this internship? Why did you apply to this one specifically?
I found this internship by looking through open digital marketing internship positions online. I applied because of the remote status of the internship and the fact that it allowed for me to get involved in various aspects of the business.

Q: What was the most valuable skill that you learned from your experience?
Not only did I learn valuable skills in marketing and design from this internship, but I was exposed to an entirely new field that I had never worked in before: UI design. It gave me the opportunity to explore work that incorporated elements of both marketing and design; two fields that I am very passionate about.

Q: How was learning in a work environment different from working in a classroom?
This internship proved to be quite different from learning in the classroom not only in that it was a work environment, but that it was a virtual work environment. I had never done any “work from home” before, so this was an entirely new experience for me. On one hand, it was very nice to have some leniency and flexibility in my day (and no commute!), though on the other hand it was more of a test of discipline and time management.

Q: What was the company culture like?
Multimedia Solution’s culture is incredibly supportive and welcoming: my direct reports as well as other employees that I had the opportunity to work with made sure that I got the most out of all of my experiences during the internship.

Q: What were some skills that you learned at Seton Hall that you used in your internship?
The marketing courses that I undertook at Seton Hall gave me a great understanding of the work I would be doing; it made the transition into different assignments much easier as I already had a general understanding of how certain marketing functions worked without needing to have it explained to me.

Q: What advice would you give to students who are actively searching for internships?
My advice to students looking to take on an internship is that “you don’t know until you know” – be willing to take on the tasks and roles that lie outside of your immediate “area of expertise” or interest because you never know when something will open new doors for your professionally.

Q: What is next for you in your career? Did your internship experience help guide your future career goals?
This career absolutely helped to guide my future career goals: I am now exploring further involvement in UX/UI design work, which is something I don’t think I would have done otherwise had it not been for this internship.

Contact Nicholas at nicholas.dibari@student.shu.edu