My name is Laura Muñoz, and I am currently an undergraduate student at the School of Diplomacy and International Relations at Seton Hall University. As part of my final semester of my undergraduate career, I completed a full-time internship at the 20th District Legislative Office in Union, New Jersey alongside the Director of Constituents as well as Assemblywoman Annette Quijano.

As an intern, I experienced magnificent opportunities, met amazing public officials, and learned about the in-depth processes of local politics. My main responsibilities as an intern at the legislative office was assisting Union County constituents who visited the office regarding claims, renewals, and referrals. In addition, I was often placed at the Elizabeth office to complete hands-on work.

During my time with the 20th District, the office partnered up with other legislative teams to provide supplies to Puerto Rico, and I assisted in facilitating donation teams. We completed many more local and state-wide events and community fundraisers. I also completed work in the field with campaign-related volunteering outside the office for Assemblywoman Quijano, particularly during the gubernatorial debate between the two governor candidates for the New Jersey election, Phil Murphy and Kim Guadagno. In addition, I was invited by the Chief of Staff for Senator Lesniak to see Barack Obama’s endorsement speech for Phil Murphy – an incredible event!

My internship with the 20th District has helped me a lot with practicing diplomacy in the real world. This internship has helped me put my skills into action. Networking is a big part of what our professors highly encourage, and I have done a lot of networking with my internship. This internship has made me realize how much more I want to work in the international field. Yes, I have learned a lot of local politics and how important it is; however, I do like more of relations between countries and how that affects the entire world. My internship at the office has also reminded me of the importance of remaining educated. Having conversations with people has been very rewarding because I use the knowledge and skills that I have learned in class, and it is amazing to have a conversation with someone about world politics and give my informed opinion.

I would recommend this internship to anyone in the Diplomacy school because I believe that the 20th Legislative office is one of the most diverse offices that New Jersey has. This internship thus far has helped me learn, grow, and realize how important it is to practice diplomacy and do what you love.