Jersey City – Our Lady of Mount Carmel

By | April 18, 2012

Ridgewood – Our Lady of Mount Carmel

By | April 18, 2012

Elizabeth – Saint Michael

By | April 17, 2012

Elizabeth – Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary

By | April 17, 2012

Elizabeth – Immaculate Conception

By | April 17, 2012

Englewood – Saint Cecilia

By | April 17, 2012

Newark – Immaculate Conception

By | April 17, 2012

Newark – Holy Trinity

By | April 17, 2012

Newark – Immaculate Heart of Mary

By | April 15, 2012

The old church was originally the South Baptist Church, then the Fifth Baptist Church. It was built by German immigrants in 1858.

In 1928 it became St. Joseph’s Church to serve a growing Spanish (Galician) and Portuguese population. In 1965, the name of the parish was changed to Immaculate Heart of Mary.

The layout of the church is a spread cruciform with a half-circle at the front that serves as the sanctuary. All the pews are angled to face the central altar. The entry is a Spanish-style portico, a triple arch trimmed in limestone. Above the portico there is a limestone tower that incorporates a mosaic of the church’s patron, the immaculate Heart of Mary

Of great interest are the “catacombs” under the former St. Joseph’s Church.

 

 

Newark – Our Lady of Fatima

By | April 15, 2012