Archive For The “Newark” Category

Newark – Saint Ann

By | November 6, 2011

St. Ann’s (German) Roman Catholic Church was organized in 1888. The community served by St. Ann’s Church has changed over time Presently, the church serves predominantly South & Central Americans, with Spanish being the dominant language and culture of the church. St. Ann’s Parish has merged with neighboring St. Rocco’s Catholic Church to form the […]

Read more »

Newark – Saint Mary (Newark Abbey)

By | November 6, 2011

Beginning in 1842, Mass was celebrated continually in Newark for the growing German Catholic population. In 1854, the church was ransacked by mobs of “Know Nothings” and Orangemen. In 1856, the care of the Newark German Catholic parish, “St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception” was entrusted to the Benedictine monks. The present church was opened […]

Read more »

Newark – Saint Augustine

By | November 5, 2011

This simple brick church in Romanesque style was built by German-American parishioners. Through the years it has served and continues to serve Catholics of many ethnic backgrounds. Today it is the home in Newark of Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity. Two exterior photos by Adam Elmquist. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/48954684 General Contractor: George Doane McCarthy

Read more »

Newark – Saint Lucy

By | November 5, 2011

St. Lucy’s Parish is the center for devotion to St. Gerard and houses the National Shrine of St. Gerard. Set in a grand and spacious plaza, the Italian Renaissance facade is plain light brick, while the interior is splendidly decorated in Renaissance and Baroque motifs. Still maintaining its Italian heritage, the parish serves a growing […]

Read more »

Newark – Saint Rose of Lima

By | November 5, 2011

Builder: W. H. Fissell and Co.

Read more »

Newark – St. Benedict

By | November 3, 2011

The date of establishment of St. Benedict’s Parish is 1854, but it was in 1863 that a resident pastor, Father Benno, arrived. The parish was established to serve a growing German population. Today it serves a predominantly Portuguese population. The Benedictine Fathers staffed the parish until 1970.

Read more »

Newark – Saint Stanislaus

By | September 24, 2011

Read more »

Newark – Our Lady of Good Counsel

By | August 10, 2011

This lovely Gothic Revival church designed by Paul C. Reilly bears a striking resemblance to the former Seminary Church of Christ the King that he also designed.  

Read more »

Newark (Vailsburg) – Sacred Heart

By | August 9, 2011

This massive gray church, with its majestic towers and entranceway, was built on a scale usually associated with cathedrals. The construction was by William H. Fissell. It is an adaptation of the Baroque style simplified with Art Deco details, typical of the 1920s when it was designed and constructed. In some accouints, the style is […]

Read more »

Newark – St. Charles Borromeo

By | August 7, 2011

St. Charles Borromeo church is both a departure from conventional church architecture and a great achievement in expressing a devotional spirit. The architect, Joseph Sanford Shanley, conceived a church which would be relatively small, functional, and suited to the square plot of land upon which it was to be built. Hence he designed it octagonal […]

Read more »