Archive For The “Newark” Category

Newark – Saint Francis Xavier

By | April 19, 2012

See: http://newarkusa.blogspot.com/2008/01/st-francis-xavier.html  

Read more »

Newark – Immaculate Conception

By | April 17, 2012

Read more »

Newark – Holy Trinity

By | April 17, 2012

Read more »

Newark – Immaculate Heart of Mary

By | April 15, 2012

The old church was originally the South Baptist Church, then the Fifth Baptist Church. It was built by German immigrants in 1858. In 1928 it became St. Joseph’s Church to serve a growing Spanish (Galician) and Portuguese population. In 1965, the name of the parish was changed to Immaculate Heart of Mary. The layout of […]

Read more »

Newark – Our Lady of Fatima

By | April 15, 2012

Read more »

Newark – Saint Peter (Queen of Angels)

By | February 7, 2012

  St. Peter’s Church, founded as a German parish, was suppressed in the late 1950s. The church was constructed with red brick with sandstone accents.The church became the home of Queen of Angels Parish, an African American congregation, until 2011 when the church was closed and the congregants moved to St. Augustine’s Church. In 1862, […]

Read more »

Newark – Saint Antoninus

By | November 6, 2011

Founded by the Dominican Fathers in 1875, the parish has been served by the clergy of the archdiocese of Newark since 1975. It is a major center of the charismatic renewal.  

Read more »

Newark – Saint Casimir

By | November 6, 2011

Known as the “cathedral of the Ironbound,” St. Casimir’s is a magnificent and opulent example of Renaissance Revival architecture with Baroque accents. An excellent web site for more pictures is : http://www.newarkhistory.com/stcasimirschurch.html

Read more »

Newark – Saint Aloysius

By | November 6, 2011

  Constructed of brown stone from the nearby Newark and Belleville quarries, this church relied for decades for its heat from the surrounding Ballentine Brewery. The first pastor, Father Fleming, is buried in the basement of the church.

Read more »

Newark – Saint Michael

By | November 6, 2011

Read more »