Archive For The “Essex” Category

Newark – Saint Francis Xavier

By | April 19, 2012

See: http://newarkusa.blogspot.com/2008/01/st-francis-xavier.html  

Read more »

Newark – Immaculate Conception

By | April 17, 2012

Read more »

Newark – Holy Trinity

By | April 17, 2012

Read more »

Newark – Immaculate Heart of Mary

By | April 15, 2012

The old church was originally the South Baptist Church, then the Fifth Baptist Church. It was built by German immigrants in 1858. In 1928 it became St. Joseph’s Church to serve a growing Spanish (Galician) and Portuguese population. In 1965, the name of the parish was changed to Immaculate Heart of Mary. The layout of […]

Read more »

Newark – Our Lady of Fatima

By | April 15, 2012

Read more »

West Orange – Our Lady of Lourdes

By | April 15, 2012

The church is distinguished by a monumental mosaic of Our Lady’s apparition at Lourdes set on the sanctuary wall. The stained glass windows are interesting in that they chronicle the history of the Catholic Church in the United States. they include Columbus Landing in the “New World” – 1492 The North American Martyrs – 1646-1649 […]

Read more »

West Orange – Saint Joseph

By | April 15, 2012

The site for this delightful country church was donated by Mrs. Josephine M. Schweinler in memory of her husband, Charles. Mrs. Schweinler also donated the cost of the building. The design of the church was influenced by Mrs. Schweinler. The building is of frame construction, the outside walls and roof shingled. Above the altar is […]

Read more »

Newark – Saint Peter (Queen of Angels)

By | February 7, 2012

  St. Peter’s Church, founded as a German parish, was suppressed in the late 1950s. The church was constructed with red brick with sandstone accents.The church became the home of Queen of Angels Parish, an African American congregation, until 2011 when the church was closed and the congregants moved to St. Augustine’s Church. In 1862, […]

Read more »

Nutley – Holy Family

By | January 20, 2012

The current postmodern church building replaced a Gothic Revival church that is used now as a hall.

Read more »

Nutley – Our Lady of Mount Carmel

By | January 20, 2012

Read more »