Archive For The “Bergen (H-O)” Category

Lodi – Saint Joseph

By | December 18, 2011

Saint Joseph Parish is in the care of the Adorno Fathers. The postmodern church was opened in 1976. The structure is semi-circular, with a sweeping curved wall on one side. Inside, the fan-shaped pew layout and the curved sanctuary wall make the altar the focal point of the church. Above the altar there is a […]

Read more »

Lyndhurst – Sacred Heart

By | December 18, 2011

For an excellent series of exterior and interior photographs, go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanonid/sets/72157627355628195/detail/

Read more »

Lyndhurst – Saint Michael the Archangel

By | December 18, 2011

Faced with orange spot iron brick with limestone trip, this postmodern church has facade window that recalls the Gothic style.

Read more »

Maywood – Our Lady Queen of Peace

By | December 17, 2011

Read more »

Midland Park – Nativity

By | December 17, 2011

The Church-School opened in 1958. The interior of the church has changed with reforms in the liturgy, but the basic design remains the same. The large cross in the front of the building is of Oregon pine. The Christ-figure over the altar was crafted in Oberammgau, Germany

Read more »

New Milford – Church of the Ascension

By | December 17, 2011

Read more »

North Arlington – Our Lady Queen of Peace

By | December 16, 2011

The church is inspired by Georgian Colonial patterns. The exterior is faced with Briar Hill stonework and limestone trim.. The interior is dressed with a coffered , slightly vaulted ceiling and Irish chandeliers. The drama of American Catholicism has been re-enacted throughout the church by its noteworthy stained glass windows, executed by Harold and Viggo […]

Read more »

Mahwah – Immaculate Conception

By | December 16, 2011

Constructed from field stone found on the property, this charming little country church was established as a mission under the direction of the rector of Immaculate Conception Seminary shortly after the seminary moved to Mahwah in 1927. The seminary returned to Seton Hall University in South Orange NJ in 1984. The story of the stained […]

Read more »

Northvale – Saint Anthony

By | December 16, 2011

Read more »

Oradell/New Milford – Saint Joseph

By | November 11, 2011

This church, in a modified Romanesque style, is constructed of red brick and Indiana limestone. The sanctuary walls feature variegated limestone. A singular feature of the church is that it literally is located in Oradell and in New Milford, as the building straddles the boundary line between these two towns.

Read more »