Designed by Newark architect Jeremiah O’Rourke in 1890, this Romanesque Revival church is graced by an exceptionally tall tower. St. Lucy’s in Jersey City, designed by O’Rourke in 1895, is nearly a twin of Sacred Heart. O’Rourke employed similar designs incorporating a tall tower in several of his designs for Post Offices while serving as the Supervising Architect of the U.S. Treasury.
Constructed of mottled orange brick with terra cotta and brownstone accents, the building was enlarged in the 1950s.
About The Building
- Jeremiah O'Rourke
- Romanesque Revival
Notable Works of Art
- Cornerstone - From Capernaum in the Holy Land
- 1950s - The rear of the church was demolished, the nave extended, and a new apse constructed. The new section of the church was simpler than O'Rourke's in design and a yellow brick utilized. However, the Romanesque style was preserved. 2002 - The interior was completely redesigned and new stone flooring introduced, giving the church an interior unity it had not previously possessed. A new painting scheme brightened the interior. As a result of this most recent renovation, the 13,500-square-foot building, which seats 700, has a new, but traditional look in natural stone.
Current Status: In use
Year Opened: 1890