Press "Enter" to skip to content

Jersey City – St. Peter

St. Peter’s Parish was established in 1831. The first attempt at building a church was begun in the same year, but it collapsed before completion. A permanent church was completed in 1836.

In 1871, the Jesuit Fathers assumed responsibility for the parish and served until the parish was merged with four nearby parishes to form the Parish of the Resurrection in 1997. In 2005, the church was purchased by St. Peter’s Preparatory School and returned to the administration of the Jesuit Fathers.

For further information and a short parish history see

About The Building


  • Arthur E. Riglio
  • Patrick Keely

Architectural Style

  • Postmodern
  • Gothic Revival
  • Gothic Revival

Interior Designer(s)

  • Thomas Kelly, mason; P.E. Reed, carpenter

Fabricator(s) of Windows

  • Blase Vukovich


  • 1904 - Francis Schroen, S.J., artist and decorator A new white Vermont altar was added.

Current Status: In use

Current Owner and Use:

The parish merged with nearby parishes in 1997 to form the Parish of the Resurrection. The church and the grammar school were purchased in 2005 by St. Peter's Preparatory School.

Interior Pictures

Exterior Pictures

Year Opened: 1961

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *