Press "Enter" to skip to content

Newark – St. John’s

Founded in 1826, St. John’s is the oldest parish in the Archdiocese of Newark. The original church was dedicated in 1830. The present church was consecrated in 1858. The pastor of the time, Father Patrick Moran, designed the church and, according to tradition, fabricated the altar and the baptismal font. Although the exterior is Gothic Revival, the interior is in a simple classical style.

Currently, St. John’s is the center of the Apostolate for the Deaf of the Archdiocese of Newark and Sunday Mass is conducted in Sign Language.

Photo: Joseph A’s Photostream

About The Building


  • Rev. Patrick Moran

Architectural Style

  • Gothic Revival

Interior Designer(s)

  • Rev. Patrick Moran

Fabricator(s) of Windows

  • Grisalle and color from designs of Rev. Patrick Moran, French, from Angers


  • 1859 - 9 bells Meneely Bell Foundry, Troy NY

Notable Works of Art

  • Original baptismal font designed and fabricated by Rev. Patrick Moran


  • The interior was renovated in the 1970s and 1980s. The altars were dismantled, but parts have been reconstructed to form a reredos. The altar rail was moved to the back of the church.

Current Status: In use

Interior Pictures

Exterior Pictures

Year Opened: 1828

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *