The old church was originally the South Baptist Church, then the Fifth Baptist Church. It was built by German immigrants in 1858.
In 1928 it became St. Joseph’s Church to serve a growing Spanish (Galician) and Portuguese population. In 1965, the name of the parish was changed to Immaculate Heart of Mary.
The layout of the church is a spread cruciform with a half-circle at the front that serves as the sanctuary. All the pews are angled to face the central altar. The entry is a Spanish-style portico, a triple arch trimmed in limestone. Above the portico there is a limestone tower that incorporates a mosaic of the church’s patron, the immaculate Heart of Mary
Of great interest are the “catacombs” under the former St. Joseph’s Church.
About The Building
- Gerald Oakley
Current Status: In use
Year Opened: 1966