The church utilized the 1908 chapel of the House of Divine Providence that was destroyed by fire in 1925. The parish was originally planned to be called Resurrection by Archbishop Walsh. Shortly after becoming archbishop in 1953, Archbishop Boland changed the name to Annunciation. Profoundly devoted to the Blessed Virgin Mary, Archbishop Boland wished to name as many parishes as possible in her honor, particularly utilizing the mysteries of the Rosary.
About The Building
- Frank J. Ricker
- In 1997, Annunciation began a renovation program to modernize the church building. The old 1908 church was long, narrow, and rather dark. Demolition of a large portion of the south wall of the old church allowed the widening of the nave. The church now centers on the altar, with the pews in a three-quarters-round arrangement. Archbishop Theodore McCarrick dedicated the new church on April 1, 2000. Sandstone from the demolished south wall of the church now supports the baptismal font, tabernacle, pulpit, and altar. The lower church was rededicated as Providence Hall, commemorating the House of Divine Providence, which stood at the site. 2000 - Transepts added and complete renovation - Anthony J. Genovese
Current Status: In use