Press "Enter" to skip to content

Montclair – Our Lady of Mount Carmel

Opened in 1939, this delightful Italian Gothic church calls itself the “Small Parish with a Big Heart.” The open nave, framed by scagliola columns,  allows an unobstructed view of the sanctuary, highlighted by a high altar of light tan Italian marbles. The soft colors of the church enhance the light of the beautiful stained glass windows.

Normally, church bells are named after saints. From their names, the bells of Mount Carmel have been “recycled.” One honors Civil War hero General Philip Kearney.

Construction by Leopold Auriemma Co; Scagliola columns by Scagliola Mfg. Co. of Union City; Ornamental plaster by Plaster Art Co.

A short video presentation of the interior can be found at:

http://www.twitvid.com/5F0F2

About The Building

Architect(s)

  • Anthony DePace

Architectural Style

  • Gothic Revival

Interior Designer(s)

  • Anthony DePace

Fabricator(s) of Windows

  • Rivell Stained Glass Co.

Bells

  • "Twp. Com. (1895-1996) Moneely Bell Co. Troy N.Y."
  • "General Phil. Kearney, Township of Kearney 1889"

Notable Works of Art

  • Pipe organ

Renovations

  • 1946 - Apse repainted by Gonippo Raggi after fire 1972 - Altar rail, side altars removed, new altar installed, Raggi mural removed. Designer - John D'Eletto 1972 - Peragallo pipe organ installed.

Current Status: In use

Interior Pictures

Exterior Pictures

Year Opened: 1939

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.