Bayonne – Saint Andrew

By | December 29, 2011

West New York – Saint Joseph of the Palisades

By | November 11, 2011

The church, designed in a Romanesque style, was constructed from the trap rock of the Palisades with white trimming from the Richfield Quarry. Originally an Irish and German parish, it now serves a mostly Latino population.

Irvington – Saint Leo

By | November 9, 2011

Jersey City – Saint Patrick

By | November 8, 2011

The stately Gothic Victorian-style structure at the corner of Bramhall and Grand Street is St. Patrick’s R.C. Church. It is the largest church in Jersey City and the third largest in the Archdiocese of Newark in New Jersey. The church is not only known for its role in the community but also for the theater within its elementary school that was placed on the state and national registers of historic places in 1980.

It was designed by the architect Patrick C. Keely of Brooklyn who had emigrated to the US from Ireland in 1842 . Keely reportedly designed over six hundred churches in the United States and thirty churches in New Jersey that also include St. Bridget’s and St. Michael’s R. C. Churches in Jersey City.

St. Patrick’s Church was constructed with blue flintstone taken from the railroad “cut” in the Greenville section of Jersey City by the Central Railroad of New Jersey. The “cut” is presently used by the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail System. The silver-colored hammered granite from the Hallowell quarries in Maine highlights the door jambs, windows, buttress caps and cornices. The interior of the Gothic church features ribbed vaulting, with sixteen granite columns support the clerestory walls, a nave of 86 feet, side aisles, channel, side chapels, woodwork of black walnut and white ash, and stained glass windows, but no transept. The extreme length of the church is 272 feet and the extreme width is 138 feet; the spire rises to a height of 225 feet with a base 33 feet square.

Get Directions

http://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistory/Pages/S_Pages/St_Patricks_Church_Complex.htm

For a wonderful series of photographs of Saint Patrick’s interior go to

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2620703580031860892VMQoaN

Newark – Saint Michael

By | November 6, 2011

Newark – Saint Mary (Newark Abbey)

By | November 6, 2011

Beginning in 1842, Mass was celebrated continually in Newark for the growing German Catholic population.

In 1854, the church was ransacked by mobs of “Know Nothings” and Orangemen.

In 1856, the care of the Newark German Catholic parish, “St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception” was entrusted to the Benedictine monks. The present church was opened in 1857. In 1858, the title to the church and property was transferred to the Order of Saint Benedict by the bishop of Newark.

The monks of the abbey conduct St. Benedict’s Preparatory School.

 

For the abbey website: http://www.newarkabbey.org/main.htm

For excellent pictures of the exterior and interior

of the abbey see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pzalonski/sets/72157624689838352/

Newark – Saint Augustine

By | November 5, 2011

This simple brick church in Romanesque style was built by German-American parishioners. Through the years it has served and continues to serve Catholics of many ethnic backgrounds. Today it is the home in Newark of Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity.

Two exterior photos by Adam Elmquist.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/48954684

General Contractor: George Doane McCarthy

Montclair – Immaculate Conception

By | November 3, 2011

Immaculate Conception church was opened in 1909. The church is a basilica with a long, vaulted porch. The style is early Italian Renaissance. The exterior is finished with granite, light brick and terra cotta trimming, with a roof of red tile.

The tall campanile resembles the “La Giralda,” the Moorish tower of the cathedral of Seville.

The interior columns of Siena marble form nine domed bays on each sideo f the church.

Rev. Josef Mendl, was pastor while the church was planned and bilt. He died two years before it was opened. Father Mendl has served as a chaplain in the Imperial Austrian Army.

The stained glass windows, by Franz Meyer of Munich, were installed in 1914.

Interior picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gutbezahl/3532240383/

South Orange – Seton Hall University Chapel

By | September 28, 2011

For a complete description of the Seton Hall University Chapel, officially the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, see

http://academic.shu.edu/chapel/

 

 

 

Jersey City – St. Michael

By | August 9, 2011

Set in picturesque Hamilton Park, St. Michael’s is built of red brick trimmed in Nova Scotia free stone, together with brown stone and granite. The facade also is embellished with English tessellated and encaustic tiles. The original plan included twin towers but it was determined that the building would not bear the strain. The interior has been renovated several times, with a restoration of the paintings in 2005.

 

The windows, installed in 1899/1901, are by Franz Meyer of Munich.