Orange – Our Lady of the Valley

By | August 9, 2011

Jersey City – St. Peter

By | July 17, 2011

St. Peter’s Parish was established in 1831. The first attempt at building a church was begun in the same year, but it collapsed before completion. A permanent church was completed in 1836.

In 1871, the Jesuit Fathers assumed responsibility for the parish and served until the parish was merged with four nearby parishes to form the Parish of the Resurrection in 1997. In 2005, the church was purchased by St. Peter’s Preparatory School and returned to the administration of the Jesuit Fathers.

For further information and a short parish history see

http://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistory/Pages/S_Pages/St_Peters_RC_Church.htm

Jersey City – St. Mary’s

By | July 1, 2011

St. Mary’s Parish was established in 1859. The first church, “Old St. Mary’s,” was dedicated in 1862 and consecrated in 1888. In 1901, a tornado destroyed the church. The lower church of the present structure was dedicated in 1903 and the present edifice completed in 1924.

It is constructed with light yellow brick, terracotta, and limestone. The Rectory is built into the northern end of the church.