Roselle Park – Assumption

By | April 18, 2012

Jersey City – Our Lady of Mount Carmel

By | April 18, 2012

Westfield – Holy Trinity

By | March 17, 2012

East Newark – Saint Anthony of Padua

By | December 29, 2011

East Orange – Saint Joseph

By | December 29, 2011

Garfield – Our Lady of Mount Virgin

By | December 21, 2011

Opened in 1927, the church was heavily damaged by fire in 1940. The rebuilt church retains the original facade reminiscent of St. John Lateran in Rome. The altars are of Bronzetto marble.

For more photos see http://photo.net/photodb/presentation?presentation_id=153734

Belleville – Saint Anthony

By | November 8, 2011

Outwardly a modest brick structure in a combination of Renaissance and Baroque styles, the interior is richly ornamented and very pleasing.

For more interior photos see

http://www.sumberacplastering.com/projects/sta-belleville/index.htm

Newark – Saint Casimir

By | November 6, 2011

Known as the “cathedral of the Ironbound,” St. Casimir’s is a magnificent and opulent example of Renaissance Revival architecture with Baroque accents.

An excellent web site for more pictures is : http://www.newarkhistory.com/stcasimirschurch.html

Newark – Saint Lucy

By | November 5, 2011

St. Lucy’s Parish is the center for devotion to St. Gerard and houses the National Shrine of St. Gerard.

Set in a grand and spacious plaza, the Italian Renaissance facade is plain light brick, while the interior is splendidly decorated in Renaissance and Baroque motifs. Still maintaining its Italian heritage, the parish serves a growing Latino population.

The contractor was J. DiBiase and the construction was by W. H. Fissel and Co. The pews and vestment case were made by The Josephinum Church Furniture Company of Columbus, OH. Bernardini Statuary Co. fabricated the altar.

For excellent interior pictures see: http://www.ettc.net/njarts/details.cfm?ID=1383

For the fine parish website see:

http://www.saintlucy.net/home.html#

 

Montclair – Immaculate Conception

By | November 3, 2011

Immaculate Conception church was opened in 1909. The church is a basilica with a long, vaulted porch. The style is early Italian Renaissance. The exterior is finished with granite, light brick and terra cotta trimming, with a roof of red tile.

The tall campanile resembles the “La Giralda,” the Moorish tower of the cathedral of Seville.

The interior columns of Siena marble form nine domed bays on each sideo f the church.

Rev. Josef Mendl, was pastor while the church was planned and bilt. He died two years before it was opened. Father Mendl has served as a chaplain in the Imperial Austrian Army.

The stained glass windows, by Franz Meyer of Munich, were installed in 1914.

Interior picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gutbezahl/3532240383/