Elizabeth – Immaculate Conception

By | April 17, 2012

Newark – Immaculate Conception

By | April 17, 2012

Newark – Immaculate Heart of Mary

By | April 15, 2012

The old church was originally the South Baptist Church, then the Fifth Baptist Church. It was built by German immigrants in 1858.

In 1928 it became St. Joseph’s Church to serve a growing Spanish (Galician) and Portuguese population. In 1965, the name of the parish was changed to Immaculate Heart of Mary.

The layout of the church is a spread cruciform with a half-circle at the front that serves as the sanctuary. All the pews are angled to face the central altar. The entry is a Spanish-style portico, a triple arch trimmed in limestone. Above the portico there is a limestone tower that incorporates a mosaic of the church’s patron, the immaculate Heart of Mary

Of great interest are the “catacombs” under the former St. Joseph’s Church.

 

 

West Orange – Our Lady of Lourdes

By | April 15, 2012

The church is distinguished by a monumental mosaic of Our Lady’s apparition at Lourdes set on the sanctuary wall.

The stained glass windows are interesting in that they chronicle the history of the Catholic Church in the United States. they include

Columbus Landing in the “New World” – 1492

The North American Martyrs – 1646-1649

The California Missions of Juniper Serra – Late 1700s

Bishop John Carroll, first Catholic Bishop in the United States – 1789

St. Elizabeth Seton – Early 1800s

St. John Neumann – Early 1800s

Bishop James Roosevelt Bayley, first bishop of Newark – 1853

John F. Kennedy – Eternal Flame – 1963

Vatican Council II – 1962-1965

 

Upper Saddle River – Presentation

By | March 17, 2012

Westfield – Saint Helen

By | March 17, 2012

River Edge – Saint Peter the Apostle

By | January 22, 2012

Originally built as an “auditorium church” in 1952, Saint Peter’s has been transformed into a magnificent postmodern church building. Over the years there were a series of renovations but finally in 1999-2000, after an extensive renovation, a new church appeared. Anthony Genovese was the architect and designer of the “new” church that includes a new entrance and bell tower. Genovese incorporated many elements from previous renovations of the church.

For an excellent “church tour” that includes a liturgical, architectural, and theological explanation of this transformation, see http://www.saint-peter.org/tour_intro.htm

Ramsey – Saint Paul

By | January 22, 2012

The architecture of this postmodern church has been described as “modified Gothic of contemporary design. The building, roughly cruciform, consists of a main center and angled side wings having the front of the main altar as the focal point of each wing. The octagonal tower to the left of the main entrance facade houses the baptistery at the nave floor level. The Cararra marble used in the sanctuary was cut and polished by the Gaspari Studios in Pietrasanta, Italy. The candle holders on the altar are from the former church. The tabernacle on the altar of the Blessed Virgin is from the former church.

Plainfield – Saint Stanislaus

By | January 21, 2012

This parish was joined to St. Bernard’s Parish in Plainfield in 2005 and the church closed.

Park Ridge – Our Lady of Mercy (St. Mary)

By | January 21, 2012