Newark – Saint Francis Xavier

By | April 19, 2012

See: http://newarkusa.blogspot.com/2008/01/st-francis-xavier.html

 

Union – Saint Michael the Archangel

By | April 19, 2012

Roselle Park – Assumption

By | April 18, 2012

Kearny – Our Lady of Sorrows

By | April 18, 2012

Ridgewood – Our Lady of Mount Carmel

By | April 18, 2012

Elizabeth – Immaculate Conception

By | April 17, 2012

Newark – Immaculate Conception

By | April 17, 2012

Newark – Immaculate Heart of Mary

By | April 15, 2012

The old church was originally the South Baptist Church, then the Fifth Baptist Church. It was built by German immigrants in 1858.

In 1928 it became St. Joseph’s Church to serve a growing Spanish (Galician) and Portuguese population. In 1965, the name of the parish was changed to Immaculate Heart of Mary.

The layout of the church is a spread cruciform with a half-circle at the front that serves as the sanctuary. All the pews are angled to face the central altar. The entry is a Spanish-style portico, a triple arch trimmed in limestone. Above the portico there is a limestone tower that incorporates a mosaic of the church’s patron, the immaculate Heart of Mary

Of great interest are the “catacombs” under the former St. Joseph’s Church.

 

 

Newark – Our Lady of Fatima

By | April 15, 2012

West Orange – Our Lady of Lourdes

By | April 15, 2012

The church is distinguished by a monumental mosaic of Our Lady’s apparition at Lourdes set on the sanctuary wall.

The stained glass windows are interesting in that they chronicle the history of the Catholic Church in the United States. they include

Columbus Landing in the “New World” – 1492

The North American Martyrs – 1646-1649

The California Missions of Juniper Serra – Late 1700s

Bishop John Carroll, first Catholic Bishop in the United States – 1789

St. Elizabeth Seton – Early 1800s

St. John Neumann – Early 1800s

Bishop James Roosevelt Bayley, first bishop of Newark – 1853

John F. Kennedy – Eternal Flame – 1963

Vatican Council II – 1962-1965