Do you type in Russian? Maybe you prefer to type using the Spanish keyboard layout? You can easily add and switch between keyboard layouts in Windows 8 – all you need to do is enable the layouts you wish to use.
If you add a new language to Windows, a default keyboard is also added so you can type in that language. If you don’t want to use the default keyboard, you can add a different keyboard layout or an input method editor (IME) for entering text.
To add a keyboard layout for a language
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)
- Enter “language”, choose Settings, and then tap or click Add a language.
- Choose the language that you want to add a keyboard layout to, tap or click Options next to the language name, and then tap or click Add an input method.
- Browse the input method list or use the search box to look for the keyboard layout you want to use.
- Double-tap or double-click the keyboard layout, and then tap or click Save.